P. O. Box 938, Forest City, NC 28043
Library at 319 Doggett Rd., Forest City, NC
Hours, effective June 1, 2021: TWTF 9-2
Closed around some holidays. Call before visiting.
Society Membership Application Form: Click here.
Order Form - Back Issues of the Bulletin: Click here.
Notes for Library Visitors:
Patrons are not allowed to make copies of any library materials using digital cameras of any kind.
Materials which are donated to the library become the permanent property of the library.
Do not bring items from your personal collection into the library so as to avoid mixing them with our collections. Paper notepads and writing instruments should be sufficient for you. You may use your personal computer to the extent that its usage is deemed acceptable by the staff.
Do not bring bags or containers of any kind other than reasonably sized handbags into the library. Those handbags should be kept at a reasonable distance from items you are examining in our collections.
If you receive or make calls on your personal phone while at the library, please leave the building so as not to disturb other persons.
Views inside the Library:
The Society is a non-profit 501(c)(3) operated by volunteers. Any monetary contributions given toward meeting our expenses and maintaining and expanding our collections are warmly received and are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
|Copyright 2018-23, The Genealogical Society of Old Tryon County, N. C., Inc.
Welcome to The Genealogical Society of Old Tryon County, N. C., Inc.
Our regular publication is the Bulletin, published quarterly from 1973 through 2012 and three times a year since 2013.
For information on some other publications of the Society which are available, click here: Books for Sale.
For a searchable listing of the contents of Volume I (1973) through Volume L (2022) of the Bulletin, click here.
To search personal name indexes for individual Volumes XL (2013) through L (2022) of the Bulletin, click on the year below.
To search combined personal name indexes for Volumes XX (1992) through XLV (2017) of the Bulletin, click on the first letter of the surname as indicated below.
Read Me First
A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   Y   Z   ??
Index to Slaves and Free Persons, generally without surnames (check ?? above also)
Index to Queries
Additional Member-authored, Evidence-based Articles and Compilations
Constructing a Drury Grissom Family Structure, by Deborah B. Nelson
The Pioneer Children of Thomas Martin Jr. of York County, South Carolina, by Cathy Martin Finnie
Jesse Fortune and Elizabeth Lavender
Fort/Station Russel at the North Fork of Broad River, also Known as Cove Creek, as Related by Soldiers, by Timothy M. McClellan
Bounty Land Warrants for Revolutionary War Service, by Timothy M. McClellan
A List of Some Published Resources of the Area that Comprised Tryon County in 1769
For a list of some published resources of the area before, during, and after Tryon County's existence, click here.   The library has most, but not all, of these publications.   Many other items may be found in issues of the Bulletin.   For listings of those click here.
The Society's Rutherford County Marriage Collection
Marriage bonds were created prior to 1868. Beginning in 1868 marriage licenses were created instead. Since 1851 marriages were also recorded in marriage registers. For an example of a bond, click here.  For an example of a license, click here.  For an example of a register, click here.  Note that the register does not provide all of the information that is recorded on the license. The amount of data recorded on licenses also varies across time. The Society has paper copies of most Rutherford County marriage licenses from about 1868 to 1961. Copies of licenses in our collection may be obtained from the Society. Call or write for details. To find out if a license for which you are searching existed, you can check our index of all Rutherford marriage bonds and licenses from 1779 to 1961. Click here. It should be noted that a few marriage licenses are missing. However, they are still listed in the index since the marriages are recorded in the marriage registers. We also have microfilm of Rutherford County marriage bonds from 1779 to 1868.
The Society's Rutherford County Death Certificate Collection
Death certificates began to be recorded in small towns in Rutherford County in 1909, but death certificates for the entire county were not recorded until about 1914. The Society has paper copies of the county copies of Rutherford County death certificates through 1954. The information on the county copies will in most cases match that on the state copies. However, there are differences occasionally. Also, if the state copy is difficult to read, the county copy may not be (and vice-versa). Copies of the county copies in our collection may be obtained from the Society. Call or write for details. To find out if a death certificate for which you are searching exists, you can check our index of all Rutherford County copies of death certificates from 1909 to 1954. Click here.
The Western Boundary of Tryon County
Following the 1763 end of the French and Indian War efforts were made to firmly establish the boundary between Indian lands and the western parts of North Carolina and South Carolina.   Land between the Catawba and Broad Rivers was ceded to North Carolina by the Catawba Indians in 1763 by the Treaty of Augusta (Georgia).   Based upon an agreement of 20 October 1765 the Treaty of Fort Prince George in 1766 established the boundary between Indian lands and South Carolina (as far north as Reedy River since at the time lands northeast of there were claimed by North Carolina).   North Carolina began serious efforts to establish its western boundary with the Cherokee Indians in 1767 and the boundary was ratified 14 October 1768 by the Treaty of Hard Labor.   The essential documents of Governor Tryon may be viewed at the following links to his papers at the N. C. Archives (links will open in new tabs or windows).   The western boundary agreement may be viewed on five frames here.   The 16 July 1767 proclamation by King George III to Governor Tryon which includes prohibition of settlements on the Indian lands may be viewed on two frames here.   Governor Tryon's proclamation to the colony with the same date may be viewed on two frames here.   The 14 October 1768 Treaty of Hard Labor may be viewed on five frames here.   Not by coincidence, a new county was created out of the western part of Mecklenburg County shortly after the Treaty of Hard Labor and was named for Governor William Tryon.   For all practical purposes the western boundary of Tryon County was extended farther west as part of the Treaty of Long Island (Holston River) 20 July 1777 by which the Cherokee Indians ceded lands east of the Blue Ridge Mountains to North Carolina.   This is reflected in the description of Rutherford County made in the bill to divide Tryon County (see below).
The Northern Boundary of Tryon County
By the Carolina Charter of 24 March 1663 Charles II awarded to eight of his supporters land from Virginia to Florida.   Seven of the eight Lords Proprietors sold their interests back to the Crown 25 July 1729.   One proprietor John, Lord Carteret, later Earl of Granville, refused to surrender his interest.   By the recommendation of a special commission, on 6 December 1743 it was decided that Lord Carteret's lands would be those south of the Virginia boundary extending south to 35 degrees 34 minutes north latitude.   This huge tract of land became known as the Granville District.   When Rowan County was created out of Anson County in 1753 its southern boundary coincided with the southern boundary of the Granville District.   Land south of that Rowan County boundary west of the Catawba River became part of Mecklenburg County when it was created out of Anson County 1 February 1763.   This resulted in 1769 in the northern boundary of newly created Tryon County being part of the southern line of the Granville District as well.   Consequently a small portion of present Lincoln, Cleveland, and Rutherford Counties was in Rowan County in the Granville District and not part of Tryon County.
The Eastern Boundary of Tryon County
The act creating Tryon County designated its eastern boundary to be the Catawba River extending south to the boundary with South Carolina.   In 1764 that South Carolina boundary east of the Catawba River had been determined to be the line including the present southern boundaries of the counties of Anson and Union (NC).   Therefore the eastern boundary of Tryon County extended only as far south as an area near the southeast corner of present York County, South Carolina.   Assertions that the 1764 line should have been much farther north resulted in the 1772 agreement giving South Carolina the part of Tryon County south of the present NC-SC boundary and known at the time as the New Acquisition.
The Southern Boundary of Tryon County
With no specification being made of its southern boundary, by default it became what was then an as-yet-undetermined South Carolina boundary west of the Catawba River.   That boundary would have extended in some manner from the southern end of the western boundary on the Reedy River to the southern end of the eastern boundary on the Catawba River.   It would be problematic for settlers in the southern section of Tryon County to know whether they resided in North Carolina or South Carolina.   If they considered themselves residents of South Carolina they would have been residents of Craven County in that state and part of either Camden District or 96 District (even though they may not have been).
The Tryon County Charter
At the N. C. Archives in Secretary of State series S. S. XVIII (Recordkeeping, Miscellaneous), formerly in S. S. 906 (Miscellaneous Papers), is the
Items Relating to Tryon County in the N. C. General Assembly Session Records
Each of the links below will open in a new tab or window.
The bill for the formation of Tryon County out of Mecklenburg County at the Nov.-Dec. 1768 session can be viewed on frames 1 through 9 of a folder of bills from Nov. 14 to Nov. 24 by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.  See the May 2012 Bulletin, pp. 98-99.
The 17 December 1770 bill appointing William Moore of Tryon County as a collector of taxes can be viewed on nine frames by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.  See the August 2012 Bulletin, pp. 135-136.
The 29 December 1770 bill which appointed commissioners for erecting a courthouse, prison, and stocks for Tryon County can be viewed on two frames by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.  See the August 2012 Bulletin, p. 137.
Until the formation of Burke County the northern boundary of Tryon County was the southern boundary of old Rowan County, but the boundary's precise location had not been determined. The 14 January 1771 bill to determine the boundary and to appoint commissioners to survey the line can be viewed on three frames by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.  See the August 2012 Bulletin, pp. 137-138.
After the 1772 survey of the boundary line between North and South Carolina west of the Catawba River a bill dated 14 December 1773 appointed commissioners again for building a courthouse, prison and stocks for Tryon County which had been greatly reduced in size by loss of the part south of the present NC-SC boundary. The bill can be viewed on two frames by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.  See the August 2012 Bulletin, p. 138.
A bill of 1 February 1773 exonerated sheriffs John Tagert and Francis Adams of Tryon County from being chargeable for taxes for the part of Tryon County lost to South Carolina by the 1772 line survey. The bill can be viewed on four frames by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.
Once again, on 9 March 1774, a bill appointed commissioners to build a courthouse, prison and stocks for Tryon County as well to establish the Catawba River as the boundary between Tryon and Mecklenburg Counties. The bill can be viewed on four frames by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.  See the August 2012 Bulletin, pp. 138-139.
See Senate Joint Resolutions, Nov. 19 - Dec. 24, 1777, regarding James Miller being allowed to keep an Indian boy taken prisoner from the Cherokee Nation.   This item can be viewed on frame ten by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.
A bill of 5 December 1777 empowered the court of Tryon County to lay a tax by assessment. The bill can be viewed on thirteen frames by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.
See Senate Joint Resolutions, April 15 - May 2, 1778 regarding Robert Porter whose home was destroyed by fire along with public bills of credit which were to have been paid to persons for services against the Cherokee Indians. This can be viewed on frames 13-19 by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.
See Joint Select Committee Reports, August 1778, regarding the services of John Morris, Randolph Coxey, and John Potts when William Gilbert was commissary at Fort McFadden.   Included are statements as to Gilbert's mishandling of funds to the public's injury.   This can be viewed on frames 1-4 and frames 21-30 by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.
See Joint Select Committee Reports, May 1779, for the petition of George Lamkin, sheriff of Tryon County, and his efforts to collect taxes amid described troubles in the county in 1772. This can be viewed on frames 17-20 by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.   See the Bulletin November 1992, p. 192.
A 26 January 1779 bill provided for the division of Tryon County into two separate counties Lincoln and Rutherford and in the process removed the name of William Tryon, colonial governor, from the name of any North Carolina county. The bill can be viewed on ten frames by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.
See House Joint Resolutions, Feb. 6 - Feb. 13, 1779 regarding William Gilbert being allowed to resign as a Justice of the Peace. This item can be viewed on frames 18-21 by linking to the N. C. Archives.   Click here.
Petition of Burke County Residents Asking to Be Added to Tryon County, 25 December 1778
After the 1777 formation of Burke County on the north side of Tryon County some residents of Burke County in the area of what is now Catawba County petitioned the General Assembly asking for the following part of Burke County to be added to Tryon County:
Petitions of Burke County Residents Asking to Be Added to Lincoln County, 1779
At the October-November 1779 session of the General Assembly two petitions were submitted requesting part of Burke County to be added to Lincoln County.  The first petition described an area
Petition of Burke County Residents Asking to Be Added to Lincoln County, ca. 1782
Although the Christmas 1778 petition and the 1779 petitions of some residents of Burke County in the area of what is now Catawba County had not succeeded, another petition to the General Assembly circa 1782 asked for the line between Burke County and Lincoln County to
The 1782 Rutherford County Tax List
View this tax list by linking to the N. C. Archives. (The link will open in a new tab or window.)   Click here.   Sue Hill Koon's booklet of transcriptions of this tax list and the 1790 census is available from the Society. See Books for Sale.
Bill and Act Annexing Part of Burke County to Rutherford County, 1786-1787
An act was passed by the General Assembly on 6 January 1787 adding part of Burke County to Rutherford County.  No associated petition has been located.   The area encompassed part of what is now known as Golden Valley in Rutherford County as well as northern parts of what is now Cleveland County.  The reason for the change was that due to
The 1792 Petition from Eastern Rutherford County for a New Voting Location
This 10 December 1792 petition from eastern Rutherford for a new voting location may be viewed on frames 1-12 of General Assembly House bills Nov. 1792 - Jan. 1793 by linking to the N. C. Archives. (The link will open in a new tab or window.)   Click here.   For a transcription of the names see the Bulletin, February 1988, pp. 23-27.
THE CONTENTS OF THIS PAGE WILL CHANGE FROM TIME TO TIME. CHECK BACK FREQUENTLY.